Ghana’s entertainment industry has experienced significant changes over the years. Music artistes have discovered new ways to improve on their craft. Some have taken the bold step to rebrand themselves.
10 musicians who scaled up their brands to another level when they changed their stage names.
- Bandana to Shatta Wale. Shatta Wale’s music career started on a humble note, but he is currently one of Ghana’s foremost dancehall artistes. On his birthday this year, the president, Nana Akufo-Addo extended an invitation to him to the Flagstaff House. The tweet went viral and was reported by several media agencies. Shatta Wale recently received a brand new G-Wagon from the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the EIB Network, Bola Ray.
2. Batman to Samini. Samini is often hailed as one of Ghana’s most talented music artistes. Regarded as a legend in Ghana’s dancehall industry, he is reported to have groomed a number of artistes such as Stonebwoy and Kofi Kinaata.
- Ayigbe Edem to Edem. He is one of Ghana’s finest rappers. He has been consistent with his style of music, right from the beginning till date. He decided to do away with the “Ayigbe” in his name, upon learning that it is derogatory.
- Abortion to Coded. He has been a member of the popular music group, 4X4, right from its inception till date. They have treated Ghanaians to some good songs such as World Trade Centre and hotgirls.com. Coded is married to Maame Efua, who works at Alisa Hotel in Accra.
- Daddy Lumba to DL . Born Charles Kwadwo Fosu, he has been the toast of music lovers for decades. In the early days of his career, he teamed up with Nana Acheampong to form the Lumba Brothers. He is on record to have released about 27 albums.
- Jane Awindor to Efya. Efya was introduced to Ghanaians through the ‘Stars of the Future’ talent show. She is the daughter of Nana Adwoa Awindor, who used to host ‘Greetings from Abroad’ on television. On 8 May 2016, Efya was announced as one of the newly signed acts to Wizkid’s Starboy Entertainment.
- Christiana Love to Obaapa Christy. Previously known as Christiana Love, she changed her name when she divorced her husband, Pastor Love Kweku Hammond. She has given Ghanaians good tunes such as ‘Hyebre sesafo’ and ‘Woa na waye’.
- Gogomi to Mugeez. He started his music career when he was featured on Samini’s first album. He later teamed up with his Paedae, his cousin, to start R2Bees. It was at that point he began using his real name, Mugeez.
- Papa Virus/PV to Wutah Afriyie – Afriyie He was an instrumental in the success of the group, Wutah. For reasons they kept to themselves, they went their separate ways. He referred to himself as Wutah Afriyie, in a bid to benefit from the brand, but later settled for ‘Afriyie’.
- Lazzy to Zeal . He started the music group VIP with Prodigal and Promzy. Now rebranded as VVIP, Promzy went his separate way, and was replaced by the Reggie Rockstone. VVIP’s latest song ‘Koliko’ is enjoying massive airplay.