First Saturday of every month is earmarked National Sanitation Day across Ghana. First declared on November 1st, 2014 by the Government of Ghana in response to the 2014 Ghanaian cholera outbreak, the day is a voluntary clean-up exercise for all Ghanaian residents in an effort to reduce unsanitary conditions that breed diseases and causes injuries. The National Sanitation Day (NSD) is an initiative by the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development. A bill has recently been sent to parliament by the ministry, the bill if approved will give legal backing to the NSD program allowing it to prosecute individuals who refuse to take part in the program.
The Environmental Health Department in Agona West urges every citizen to be part of this edition of the Sanitation on 2nd September, 2017 to support hygienic our environment to prevent countless hazardous diseases out break like cholera, malaria etc. With a discussion on Obrempon FM 91.7 daybreak show between Obibini Kojo Bansah and Environmental Health Department in Agona West, They applauded for the people of the municipality for showing much attentiveness and participation in the national sanitation day.
They pointed out certain few shortcomings that are obstructing a smooth sanitation in Agona West which includes:
- Fewer women partake in the exercise than men.
- Store owners’ refusal to assigned one attendant to represent them during the exercise.
- At times the citizens come there with free hands.
- Drivers’ involvements are less.
- The rubbish collectors leave the scene whiles waste are not disposal.
The agency said, all the above must be desist to help proper sanitation and very soon task force are going to be formed to monitor those whom are not collaborate in the exercise to execute them.
READ THIS: Wife Of SSNIT IT Boss Divorced Him
Again, they gave out a sanitation schedule for tomorrow 2nd September, 2017 edition as below:
- Agona Swedru – It will start from ADB Bank to 99 Junction to Melcom and also Central Market, Mandela Market and the cooperative transport Stations.
- Agona Abodom (Tuesday, 5th September, 2017) – it will start from Salam and it’s all environments.
- Agona Bobikuma – Lower (Wednesday 6th September, 2017) – It will start from the Zongo mosque to Sawmills and its environments.
- Agona Bobikuma – Upper East (Wednesday, 6th September, 2017) – It will start from old Police Station to Y Junction and its environments.
- Agona Bobikuma – Upper West (Wednesday, 6th September, 2017) – it will start from Zongo and its environments.
- Agona Nyakrom (Wednesday, 6th September, 2017) – Its will start from Calvary Junction to Nyakrom Rural Bank and it environments.
- Agona Kwaman (Wednesday, 6th September,2017) – Lorry station and its environments
- Agona Nkum (Wednesday, 6th September, 2017) – Main Market.
All must note e3veryone should clean its environment if you are not able to join the team and all assembly members should ensure that all their various communities are involved.
Source: Obrempon FM 91.7 (Agona Swedru)